Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's been 4 months and 11 days we've been without our little Garrett. Some days are easier than others. On a day like today, when everyone is remembering people they have lost, it's a little harder. He's been on my mind a lot today and I am finding little reminders of him everywhere.

Today we rode home in the shuttle from Superstition Springs Toyota with the same driver that drove Garrett and I. I remember him being SO excited to ride in the bright red van with the cool horns on the front.

I opened a little notebook this morning to make a list of things to do and found a page he had illustrated-I drew a Christmas tree for him and he drew the decorations.

We made his favorite for breakfast this morning-pancakes. It seems they don't get eaten as fast now as they use to. Garrett LOVED pancakes. He would eat them for every meal if I let him and "a pancake in my hand" for a snack.

I put away a puzzle Adam and Dallin put together a couple of days ago. It was a puzzle Garrett got for Christmas. He was a game kid. He always wanted me to play a game with him or "make somened" (his way of talking was very unique).

I drove by Banner Desert hospital yesterday and found a lump in my throat. Hospitals aren't scary to me, they just bring back really hard memories. While watching a silly show one night I completely fell apart because one of the characters was in the hospital. It seemed so ridiculous that it would effect me so strongly.

It's strange how a perfectly normal activity will make me sad. Not as horribly miserable as I use to feel, but just sad. That knot in my stomach has loosened a little.

It seems that when I'm doing okay or going about my normal activities, the ache builds a little and at the most inopportune times it becomes uncontrollable. Like when riding home in a shuttle from the car fix-it place. I owe the driver an explanation...

5 comments:

delilas said...

My arms are trying to reach you. {Hug}. He was just a sweet little boy and bigger than life. Love ya, :D

Leslie said...

Oh rats. I wondered how that ride was going to go. I prayed for you. I guess I wasn't specific about asking for no tears. We still think of Garrett all the time. Like today I was just driving through the neighborhood and realized (again) that he isn't here anymore. It stinks.
Les.

Hamblins said...

Dusty and I are always praying for you guys and thinking of you.

Sally

BeeP said...

Love you Bek. I'm so sorry.

Heather said...

Hey guys. There are so many words I have wanted to say to you but they never know how to come out right so I just keep them inside. I think about you all the time and know just a small portion of the sadness you feel. It has been almost 2 years since my nephew died and I still think of him often. The good thing I can say is that remembering him is not as painful as it used to be. My sister said that when she has those moments when she is unexpectedly reminded of Hunter and the silly little things he did she can smile and laugh and then go on with her day without the tears and heartache. So hang in there, it won’t always hurt so bad – words spoken by my sister. You are in my prayers.