Tuesday, May 20, 2008


"A Mother's Lullaby"

Peaceful, lie peaceful, my dear little one,
Under the starlight, under the sun.
Summer and winter roll soft your head.

Sleep, gently sleep in your small earthen bed.

Yesterday, yesterday two little feet
Ran through the meadow, the wildflowers sweet.
Snow-time and flower-time cover you deep.
Peaceful, lie peaceful as I lay you to sleep.

Yesterday, yesterday two little feet
Romped on their way, and the summer was sweet.
But now faith whispers soft as I bid you goodnight.
My angel walks through a garden of light.

Blessed, oh blessed the day of our Lord,
Blessed the dead who shall rise at his word.
Blessed the angels who swing wide the door.
Blessed the time when I hold you once more.


*My dad found this poem and read it at the funeral. I can almost read the whole thing without sobbing.

1 comment:

Leisa Tapia said...

I'm so glad you posted a reading of that poem... it was so powerful when he read it. it still is so powerful. thank you